NFCF

Friends Of Wainsgate Chapel, Hebden Bridge

Member of the National Federation of Cemetery Friends

Wainsgate Chapel is situated 290m above sea level on the hillside above Hebden Bridge. The earliest Baptist chapel on the site was built in 1750, and the current chapel and Sunday school building, now a thriving community arts centre, was completed in 1891. The burial ground contains around 1,200 graves, with over 3,500 people interred or commemorated. The earliest burial dates from around 1760, and the graveyard is still open for burials and interment of ashes for people of all religious or secular traditions. Rev. John Fawcett, Baptist minister and scholar and composer of the hymn ‘Blest be the Tie that Binds’ is buried at Wainsgate.